For a fuller understanding of the purpose of this blog, please see my first post, Blog Motivation. In a nutshell, however, I was motivated to begin writing when our son Oliver was born with a heart defect requiring open-heart surgery, and I decided this would be as good of a way as any to both get my thoughts out and keep others updated on Oliver’s status. There will undoubtedly be posts that do not fit perfectly with that theme, as I also intend to share other insights and/or family stories that I think are worth sharing. In no particular order, the purpose of this blog is to accomplish the following goals:
- to keep people posted on Oliver’s heart condition (hopefully only for a while),
- to document some of the challenges we face as a family,
- to share things that I find humorous along the way,
- to have an outlet for my thoughts (to help me separate the bad ones from the good ones),
- to demonstrate that I’m a better writer than my sister Rachel,
- to perhaps provide a voice of comfort/hope to others faced with the heartache of not knowing what their child’s (or loved one’s) future holds, and
- to sprinkle in random thoughts and/or stories about my family that are worth sharing.
As a guide to help those of you who want to visit this blog just for updates on Oliver’s health, I will categorize those particular posts as “Oliver’s Health”, and if you click on that Topic on the right hand side of the page, you will find the most recent information that I have posted relating to Oliver’s heart condition.
Enjoy! Feel free to subscribe. My goal is 10 million subscribers by the end of the week. 🙂